September 11–14, 2014
The Finger Lakes had long been on our list of Must Do areas to consider for Rolling Thru America (“RTA”). We had heard about their beauty, we had read about the great motorcycle routes, and the region was sooo good that we chose it for our ’12 and our ’13 tour.
It’s that good, and for our 2014 tour, we’re combining the BEST of our prior two tours.
The Finger Lakes region is indeed very beautiful, and it’s like nothing else we’ve ever seen. Imagine wide open rural scenery, with long low rolling hills; many, many lake views from above, and many long lake side roads below; beautiful vineyards aplenty, quaint towns, Amish farms and their horse drawn buggies, and unexpectedly dramatic waterfalls. It’s a wonderful and unusual combination of scenery, set among roads designed by (we assume) a touring motorcyclist – winding but not twisty, elevation gains/drops but not being steep, and pool-table smooth pavement.
On your rides you’ll notice that the scenery begins immediately. The gorgeous lake views at the hotel connect to rolling, meandering rural roads in untouched open land. You’ll quietly glide along on some of the smoothest roads we’ve enjoyed on our tours, looking out over valleys, farmlands and lakes. You’ve escaped to the Finger Lakes.
You’ll stay in a very nice hotel located right on the shores of the gorgeous Seneca Lake. Each morning, you’ll enjoy breakfast in a room exclusively reserved for Rolling Thru The Finger Lakes, whose massive windows have an amazing south view over Seneca Lake. What a way to start each day.
Thursday – Unpack, Dine and Relax
- Hotel Check-In and Gift Bags Delivered
- Welcome Party, Optional Wine Tasting followed by the Captain’s Buffet, a perfect opportunity to renew friendships and make some new ones. Menu includes a House Salad, Mediterranean Pasta Salad, Sliced Top Sirloin w/mushroom Cabernet Sauce, Baked Norwegian Salmon w/creamy Dill Sauce and Oven Roasted Garlic & Rosemary Potatoes crowned with a Chocolate Mousse
- After your long ride, a masseuse will be on staff for those wanting (needing?) an optional professional massage.
Friday – Mansions, Waterfalls and Lakes – 135 miles
- Following breakfast on the shores of Seneca Lake, start the day with a rolling tour through Amish country, led by guides taking you along the most scenic routes in the region.
- Lunch in the heart of wine country, at an 1838 4-star historic mansion, with a spectacular view overlooking Keuka Lake (pictured). This location is one of the most dramatic we’ve offered on a Rolling Thru America tour.
- Depart for miles and miles of lakeside rambling to a historic motorcycle (and plane and car) collection unlike anything you’ve seen.
- Afternoon ride passes amazing waterfalls (have your camera ready), and beautiful lake-view vistas, followed by an evening to yourself to enjoy the quaint town of Geneva, and the lakeside pier.
Saturday – Finger Lakes Loop & Fine Dining – 140 miles
- Breakfast on the shores of Seneca Lake followed by a wonderful eastward ride past vineyards, and more stunning lakes. During the morning ride, you’ll stop at a stunning 215′ water fall.
- Lunch. Following a scenic and relaxing ride along several lovely finger lakes, we’ve secured THE MOST popular and exciting destination we’ve ever offered – Watkin’s Glen Racetrack. A guide will escort you onto the track for 3 leisurely and safe laps of the track. The track is surprisingly beautiful, and unless your name is Andretti, it’s an experience that you’ll probably never have again. Lunch will be served at the private club located on the rolling manicured hills of the track, with views of the lake, farms, mountains and the track you’ve just toured. Menu includes Crown Royal Chicken or Crab Stuffed Sole.
- The return route takes you through perhaps the most scenic areas in the region, including many vineyards and vistas as you return to the hotel.
- For dinner, hop aboard a private coach and let us drive you to a staple of Geneva for an Italian meal including Stuffed Rigatoni in a Vodka Sauce, Chicken Parmesan or Lasagna.
Sunday – Farewell Breakfast
- Enjoy the best breakfast yet, which includes assorted juices, fresh fruit platter, assorted muffins and Danishes, French toast, cheesy eggs, crispy bacon and ham.
- After spending this wonderful weekend with your friends, it’s time to go home and reminisce about the highlights of the past few days.
The guided daily rides average 150 miles (about 4 1/2 hours of seat time) up, around and beside many of the Finger Lakes. Motorcycle guides lead and follow you, and a support vehicle follows along behind.[If you want to ride on your own, we provide you with excellent route maps.]